Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Break my heart!

Something just happened a bit ago that I thought I should document because this makes the second time Nixon has done something that made me want to cry and shower him with kisses.

Nixon loves the Toy Story movies and is so obsessed with them that he was Buzz Lightyear for Halloween (pictures in another post). I put the movie on for him to watch for the umpteenth time so I could get some serious house cleaning done before I leave town tomorrow. I put him in his high chair to eat lunch but left the movie on so he could eat and watch at the same time (all hell would have broken lose if I dared turn it off before it was over). Anyway, for those not familiar with the movie, there's a scene where Buzz leaps off a balcony to prove to himself that he really is a space ranger that can fly and not just a toy. Unfortunately the sad truth becomes apparent as he crashes to the floor causing his arm to break off. As this happened, Nixon points to the TV and while saying "Buzz" over and over again, starts to cry this horrifically sad cry. In seeing the expression on his face and hearing that sad wailing, I started to tear up but managed to choke it back as I convinced him Buzz was going to be ok. Oh my gosh!!! Talk about heart breaking!

A similar thing happened a few weeks ago as we were leaving Super Walmart after grocery shopping. Nixon LOVES waffles, so the last thing we did was swing by the frozen aisle and pick up a box of Eggo Nutrigrain waffles (yum!). I let him hold them to keep him occupied during checkout. Soon I realized this was a mistake because he was not about to let go of them. The checkout lady was kind enough to hand scan them so he could continue to hold them. When we got to the car, I pulled them from his hands and put them in the bag with the other cold stuff. He of course got upset and started throwing a fit. For the next little while which seemed like forever, I fought with him to get in his carseat. He arched and flailed so much I couldn't get him buckled in. By this time I was seriously considering yanking him up and spanking his butt, but I decided to try a different approach. I pulled him out, sat him on my knee, then explained that as soon as we got home I'd give him back the box of waffles. Of course I don't know how much he really understood, but he calmed down enough to let me buckle him in. Well, as soon as we backed out of our space, he kept saying "waffles" over and over again, then started to cry a very sad little cry. I realized his feelings were hurt because he didn't understand why he couldn't have the waffles since he had been good to get in his carseat. His cry was so sad and sincere that I seriously considered pulling over immediately and giving him the waffles. Nevermind the fact I told him he'd have to wait until we got home (which he obviously didn't understand or was too impatient to wait that long), but luckily he calmed down pretty quickly and we made it home shortly thereafter. Needless to say, Nixon was promptly given the box of waffles as soon as we pulled in the driveway, and we went in and had some for dinner.

2 comments:

The Nobles said...

How cute! We are coming to Dallas Jan. 21-25 so hopefully we can get together and see Nixon again. Is that around the time you are due? I can't remember. Hope you guys are doing good.

Amber Ayres said...

Zac said the dinner prayer tonight and like usual blessed mommy and daddy and Landon and .....NIXON. that's right, out of nowhere he blessed Nixon as if it was his normal prayer. It made me laugh since we haven't seen ya'll in a little while. maybe he was blessing that he would see Nixon soon! me too! We miss ya'll and I want to see your new house!